Today, 12th of May, is the
Mothers Day. When I woke up, I opened up the socialmedia.com website and what
amazed me was the latest article regarding this holiday. It is called “6
Social Ways to Show Your Love on Mothers Day“ and the idea of showing my love to my mother on social sites shocked me.
As the
name of the article may reveal, there are six tips for us how to express love
for our mothers. These tips are following:
Create a custom made image with mom’s
favorite quote.
- This is pretty much a quote with custom background uploaded on your mother’s
favorite social network. Personally, I find this gift a little bit strange; I
cannot see how my mom would appreciate that. Well, she probably would, just because
I did not forget.
Send an instant gift.
-
This is a Facebook feature. The selection of gifts depends on what
Facebook offers. Basically, you purchase a gift, send it to you mom and she
gets a notification she has been given a gift from you. Don’t you think that a
real life gift would be more appropriate? I certainly do.
Create a special slideshow of pictures
with your mom.
-
The socialmedia.com suggests an iPhone/iPad app Ptch from Dreamworks to
help you with the slideshow. I consider this to be the most suitable gift out
of the advised 6.
Use Instagram to remind you to call mom.
-
In case you tend to forget about your mother, Instagram will help you.
Just hashtag #mom, you will get a message with the reminder that you have
mother you should be thankful for.
Search well known brands’ social media
profiles.
-
You can even save little money on your mother! Just use Facebook pages
for searching for the right gift for your mom. Socialmeda.com says that 1-800-Flowers
has a nice 20% discount.
Find a cool event or book a table (even
last minute).
-
Tabeso app will help you book a
table or find a cool event to impress your mom. It seems that nowadays it is
hard to please your mom without an app for it.
Well, I might have taken this little bit
sarcastically, I am sorry about that, but I could not help it. For me, the idea of
relying on social media in such cases sounds just ridiculous.
source: Evans, Sarah. "6 Social
Ways to Show Your Love on Mothers Day."Socialmediatoday.com. N.p.,
11 May 2013. Web. 11 May 2013. <http://socialmediatoday.com/sarahevans/1457361/6-social-ways-show-moms-mad-love-mothersday>.
Hey
OdpovědětVymazatI enjoyed reading your blog and I agree with everything you said.
This part of the blog especially caught my attention as I find it interesting and at the same time sad that this even existed during mother's day.
It is insane how even for mother's days which is quite an important day is digitalized. To me it ruins the real meaning of the day where it should come from the heart and be way more personal than this.
Im not saying mobile media is all bad no, I use it and it informs me and entertains me and keeps me in touch but everything should have a limit and this depends on the individual. But l seriously think that this is over the top.
But thanks for sharing this I found it really interesting.
Tomas, hey! Firstly, I love your topic! It's so close for everyone. Decided to comment this part, just because this is so sad. I have even chosen my favorite one's from the list above! Here we go: "Send an instant gift" and "Use Instagram to remind you to call mom". Sounds disgusting, nasty, and loathsome. After reading your blog, it took me about ten minutes to realize everything that has been written and apply it to myrself. And the worst thing is that I realized that I am the same. Well, maybe this problem is the problem of our time, or century, or generation and so on, but actually, maybe it's in our heads.
OdpovědětVymazatI would lie, if I said that I don't like Mobile Social Media and I have never used it. I like them, and I use them. Firts thing I'm doing after I wake up - checking news and everything on my mobile phone. And that's it. It has become a big part of our everyday life, and I'm not sure that someday we will somehow be back, without these gadjets and such kind of Social Media needs, but I'm sure that some day we will find a way to avoid "Instagramming" for Mother's day.
Thank you for this chance to think about that more careful and deep.